Monday, April 30, 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: March 2007
Reviewer: Bethany
Rating: 4 cheeseburgers.

City of Bones is the first in the Mortal Instruments series, an urban fantasy set in modern-day New York. It starts when fifteen-year-old Clary Fray witnesses a murder at a club, but is the only one in the building who can see the killer, a boy named Jace. Later, Clary receives a distressed call from her mother, and rushes back to their apartment to find the place trashed, her mother missing, and a demon creature waiting for her. Clary manages to kill the creature, but is injured in the process, and Jace takes her to his home.

There, Clary meets Jace’s adoptive-siblings Isabelle and Alec, and their tutor Hodge, and is told that they are Shadowhunters, a race of people bred to kill demons. The City of Bones is where they take Clary to figure out why she can see Shadowhunters, why she can’t remember ever having seen them before, and how to find her mother.

City of Bones was a good book. Not the best book in the series, for me, but I liked it. There was hilarious humor, interesting characters, and a well thought out plot; the only problem I had was that at times it got a little too dramatic. The romance was believable, but my favorite part had to be the little world Cassandra Clare created for her story. It’s by far my favorite fantasy world to read about, because it’s really convincing. It’s what led me to Cassandra Clare’s prequel series, the Infernal Devices, which I suggest that you check out, because I love that one just as much. I give City of Bones 4 cheeseburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment