Thursday, March 31, 2016

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold

Title: National Velvet
Author: Enid Bagnold
Date Published: 1935
Reviewer: Leah (12)
Rating:

National Velvet is a book about a girl named Velvet who loves horses. In the beginning of the book she has only one horse, but soon she receives 6. Velvet is a very good rider and everybody comments on how well her seat is. She has 3 sisters: Mally, Merry, and Edwina, and one little brother named Donald. This book in the beginning can seem kind of confusing, but you should understand more as you go along. One thing I noticed about this book is that I could not really connect with Velvet even though I love horses too. I think this is because the author did not give enough description of the character. Don't get me wrong it is a very well written book, but I felt no connection. Velvet was supposedly born with a natural seat and I don't doubt that that can happen, but it just seems she barely had any practice and was an amazing rider who wins awards, which I think is very unrealistic. When I finished this book I was not very satisfied first because I did not understand the character, and at the end she did not get what she deserved. I am sorry to say that I would not read this book again or recommend it to a friend. On a good note this is a great book on girl empowerment. #GirlPower

No comments:

Post a Comment